Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Backyard Birds - Providing a Water Source


The leaves are late to turn and fall this year, but the Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees and Wrens have returned to my yard on time. I'm a little concerned about the lack of Cardinal visitors this past year, but there have been an abundance of House Sparrows, Blue Jays and Mourning Doves.

Over time, I've begun to notice the different temperaments and personalities of each species. The cardinals are always first to arrive in the morning, and the last to visit at dusk - always announcing themselves while here. The doves are mellow and content to preen and rest much of the day, sometimes cautiously peering into my windows to see about the colorful cockatiels residing behind the glass. The sparrows only stay long enough to take care of business - arriving and leaving in large groups - squabbling with each other over food and water access. The wrens are incredibly curious about everything - latching onto the window screens to get a look inside, exploring every inch of the wooden deck and any planted pots. The chickadees eagerly approach as I put out seed - seemingly unfazed by human presence.

But what almost all the birds have in common is their enjoyment of bathing. And no matter what mood I am in, watching birds bathe is sure to put a smile on my face. They partake so completely and with such abandon - and lots of splashing! Wild birds appreciate a constant, clean source of water for drinking and bathing, and in return, you get to watch the show.

Pretty much anyone can find a place for a birdbath at their home. If you have a balcony or a deck, you can install one. One I use year round is a deck-rail model - it tilts for cleaning and has a built-in heating element to allow a water source in freezing temperatures. (The doves tend to hang out on it all day in snowy weather!) You can find them at many online wild bird sites, including this one in the Wild Bird category.

Whether or not you offer bird food, I highly recommend adding a bird bath somewhere outside. You won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

Gary said...

I love watching birds taking a bath. They splash about like kids, having a great time. You're right - guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

This summer, with the drought around here, I was worried about the birds' water sources, and I was extra vigilant about filling up the bird bath witch clean water each day.

freethehens said...

Another bonus is I have visits from birds not interested in seed, like mockingbirds and robins, who just want a drink.

Anonymous said...

You know what is really weird? Shelby and I kept seeing a cardinal all summer. We are pretty sure he was the same one each time. He looked healthy, we don't know what was up with him.