Sunday, November 18, 2007

Animal Advocacy Tip:

Although I don't pay too many bills by mail anymore, when I do I always include one of PETA's business-card sized leaflets like this that provide lots of informational bang for your buck, in a tiny format. My favorite to use is "Please think before you eat" with a photo of a turkey and info on the back. I don't see it on PETA's literature site at the moment, but the product code is VEG250 if you wanted to try to request it.

The people at these bill companies must get bored opening up so much mail, and I imagine they aren't expecting something in there for them. Hopefully they appreciate some information the animal industries would rather they didn't know. It's so easy, everyone should do it! And it takes a little of the sting out of bill paying.

Check back for more Animal Advocacy Tips in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great tip, Kim! Welcome to blogging. And we really enjoyed meeting you at Poplar Springs last Saturday -- it's always nice to find other activists in town!

freethehens said...

Thanks so much Jennifer! It was so nice to meet you and Joel, too.

Anonymous said...

When I used to work @ a large publisher, part of my job was opening tons of mail (I worked in the academic marketing department, so lots of book orders & desk copy requests from professors & colleges). Periodically w/the order form I would find a religious tract or something else like that. It just annoyed me. I can't imagine an order-opener would necessarily be interested in reading a veg brochure (unless they were already headed down that road, which of course some of them might be). I mean, I never took the time to read about how Jesus would save my soul...

freethehens said...

Yeah, religious materials wouldn't hold much interest for me either. Thanks for your insight as someone who opened mail.

What I really like about these cards (business card sized, printed front and back) is that they attract your attention with a picture of an animal and a question or message about human behavior regarding them. They are an easy and quick read, with the content being very focused. Also, they are inexpensive, don't result in much waste (if not recycled) and fit into something you are going to mail anyway.

When I leaflet, people often seem surprised that I am NOT giving them religious info, and seem grateful for information about animals. So I have some confidence that these have a similar impact, offering an alternative to the expected religious materials.