Monday, May 12, 2008

There's a new Sparrow in town

It's been a Sparrow kind of spring.

Like most of the country, House Sparrows are an abundant species in my neighborhood. Technically they aren't really sparrows at all, but actually Old World Weaver Finches. They were introduced to North America from England in the 1850's in order to help reduce crop pests. Unfortunately, they didn't plan for their amazing adaptive and reproductive abilities that resulted in damaged crops and fruit trees in addition to their habit of taking over native birds' nesting sites.

Their population has been declining though and they aren't protected - meaning they can be killed by anyone, at any time, for any reason. I have to admit that when a Cooper's Hawk visits for a meal, I hope it's a House Sparrow he gets, and not a Cardinal. There's just more of them!

Actually, I find them to be very clever and they have varied and beautiful songs. There are also stories of them figuring out ways to open the automatic doors at Home Depot, where they tend to make permanent homes. That's a bird that earns your respect.

Last month we noticed some House Sparrows had set up house right next to our front door in a topiary. It wasn't a great place, as they freaked out every time we came in and out of the house - which my husband does a lot, working out of the house and his car. It was fun though to see the 4 light blue eggs in the small nest so close to the house, and we tried to do our best not to disturb them.

One day I went to grab the garden hose beneath the topiary, and noticed two broken eggs on the ground. I immediately looked up and saw lots of feathers around the nest - which was now empty - and figured that a fight had ensued for the eggs and that the parents had lost. I pulled out the nest, which was so beautifully crafted and intricate, and felt a pang for the parents that had worked so hard only to lose their offspring. I hoped they had at least escaped the predator and could try again in another location.

A few days later, I noticed a sparrow going to another bush not far from the topiary. So I went to investigate and sure enough, 5 little beaks where popping up out of a nest. I've never seen parents feeding more than 2 offspring, so I anticipated that all 5 wouldn't survive. When I peeked the other day, there were only 3. And they filled up the nest so much that it looked like one bird blob with three heads attached. I'm curious now if they will only be left with 2...

[UPDATE: I checked the nest this morning and there were only 2 birds left. :>( ]

In the midst of all this, I noticed a single bird in my back yard hanging out one day on a chair. What caught my eye was his striking head pattern of alternating black and white stripes. On occasion I get an unfamiliar bird at the feeders and I can't tell you how exciting it is when that happens. His back was to me, but he turned around eventually and I was able to get a good look at him. I started flipping frantically through my bird book and it turns out he was a White Crowned Sparrow, a bird I had never heard of or seen before.

I've noticed him a few times since, but I have a feeling he won't be a permanent guest. Not if the House Sparrows have anything to do with it.

No comments: