Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sparrows con't

So it turns out that out of five hatchlings in the Sparrow's nest near my home, only one fledgling survived. I found a dead hatchling in the nest the day after there had been two, but saw a lone survivor the same day in a tree right above the nest. I have to admit it's kind of shocking that the hatchling was alive and vibrant one day and dead the next.

I also found the high mortality rate a bit alarming. And I'm not even sure that the one that made it out will live long term.

Doing a bit of research online, it appears the cause is probably one of three things: lack of available insects for feeding, disease or environmental pollutants. The hatchlings need an abundant source of insects in their first days of life to survive, and it's possible that, due to pesticide use, there just aren't enough insects to support the population. Also, when people like me put out seed, it's possible that the hatchlings were fed too much of that, and not enough insects. So I feel like I could be contributing to the problem!

After this experience, I have to admit that I'm amazed there remains any urban wildlife at all. They are under constant assault from so many directions. This week has been a real eye opener.

No comments: