Friday, January 18, 2008

Dick Cheney Eats Kittens

I saw this bumper sticker the other day and it made me laugh... for quite a while. It was one of those things you aren't expecting, so it made it all the more amusing - implying something about the target by utilizing the absurd (in our society, anyway).

But then I got to thinking, it wouldn't have been funny if it said "Dick Cheney eats cows (or pigs, or chickens, etc.)" Which makes a statement about how we place companion animals in a different category than farmed animals. And how sad it is that most of our society doesn't find eating them absurd at all!

In another post, when I'm not so bogged down with work, I'd like to talk about our different perceptions, and treatment, of animals we place in specific categories, and how this effects our animal advocacy efforts.

No comments: